The new prospective of dentistry
Lecturer:Dr. Hytham Abdel - Aziz
The American Dental Association defines evidence based dentistry as:
"an approach to oral health care that requires the judicious integration of systematic assessments of clinically relevant scientific evidence, relating to the patient's oral and medical condition and history, with the dentist's clinical expertise and the patient's treatment needs and preferences."
- the best available evidence
- the clinician's experience
- and the patient's preference
EBD 5 Step Process
The EBD process is a structured approach to identifying and using the best information relevant to a particular clinical problem. It follows these 5 steps:
- Articulate a clear question based on the patient's clinical problem.
- Conduct a comprehensive search for the latest relevant research
- Critically assess the evidence
- Use the best identified valid and relevant evidence in patient care
- Assess how well the previous steps worked