Hradec Kralove is among the oldest Bohemian towns. It was built on the place of an old Slavic settlement and historical sources date it back to 1225. In the Middle Ages it was a dowry town of Czech queens. From the 14th century the brick Cathedral of the Holy Ghost has been preserved, while the neighbouring White Tower was built in the 16th century.
In the period of Rococo the town was transformed into an extensive military fort. After its abolition and demolition of the fortifications, the town gradually received a new modernistic outlook. Many remarkable architects participated in the design, for example Jan Kotěra (the building of the Museum of East Bohemia) and Josef Gočár (the Gymnasium of J.K.Tyl).
The town serves as the seat of the regional government of the Hradec Králové region.